Nathaniel WHITE / Mary ?
Husband: Nathaniel WHITE (Descendant Chart)
Born: ABT 1765 in: VA
Wife: Mary ? (Descendant Chart)
Born: ABT 1785 in:
1 Name: Stephen WHITE
M Born: ABT 1804 in: VA
Died: 2 AUG 1869 in: Cleveland County, NC
Spouse: Nancy GOINS
I haven't attempted to do detailed research on Nathaniel White,
but here are some informal notes I have collected. Please contact me
if you are interested in exchanging information.
- A Nathaniel White was listed as bondsman in an 1807 Rutherford County, NC marriage bond:
Self, Ligash & Poley Bumgarner, 20 Oct 1807; Edward Towney, Nathanl White, bm.
- Nathaniel White is listed in the 1820 Census for Rutherford County, NC.
Included in the household are a total of 10 individuals as follows:
one male age 45 and over, one male 16 to 25, one male 10 to 15,
four males under 10, one female 26 to 44, one female 16 to 25, and one female under 10.
- Nathaniel White is listed in the 1850 Census for Cleveland County, NC (Cleveland
County was formed from parts of Rutherford and Lincoln Counties in 1841).
Nathaniel is listed as an 85 year old farmer who was born in NC.
The only other person in the household is 65 year old Mary, presumably his wife, who
is also listed as born in NC.
- A Nathaniel White is listed in the 1800 Census for Lincoln County, NC. Lincoln County
was adjacent to Rutherford County until Cleveland County was formed in 1841 from parts of both
Included in the household are a total of 6 individuals as follows:
one male age 16 to 25, one male under 10, one female over 45, 1 female 10 to 15,
and two females under 10.
- A deed exists in Rutherford County, North Carolina Deed Book J-L, page 200, in which a
tract of land was transferred from Parygreen Magness to Nathan White. The deed was
dated 13 December 1787 and was recorded on 5 June 1794. The land was located on both
sides of Brushy Creek of First Broad River. The deed was witnessed by Jacob Vinzant,
William Smart, and John Grifen.
- The Rutherford County, North Carolina deed index lists a Sheriff's deed from
Nathaniel White to Edward Lewis that was recorded in book 36, page 106, in 1827.
- Posey Downs' book2 indicates that
Nathaniel White was from Virginia and was the father of Stephen White who married
Nancy Goins. No source is cited for this information, and I haven't found any
original record such as a will, deed, or estate file that confirms this.
The census records do indicate that a Nathaniel White was present in the Rutherford/Cleveland
county area, and he was of an age that he could have been the father of
Stephen White who was born about 1804. In fact,
there are a number White family households that are clustered
in the same section of the 1850 Cleveland County, NC census. Are some or all of these
White families descended from Nathaniel White?
#1376 John White (age 25)
#1382 Jonas White (age 26)
#1383 George White (age 46)
#1394 Stephen White (age 46)
#1397 William White (age 47)
#1398 David White (age 38)
#1399 Nathaniel White (age 85)
Posey Down's book includes the following information on what are probably three of
these individuals, although it doesn't provide any indication if they are related
to each other:
- p.135: Stephen White, the son of Nathaniel White of Virginia, married Nancy Goins.
Their children were Mary Elmina, Sarah M., Fannie, Elizabeth (Betsey),
Sgt. William, Sgt. Graham, Sgt. James, Andrew S., Alfred, & Martha.
- p.84: William and Susan Lucas White were the parents of Dulcenia White who
married Eli Newton. (The "Bridges to the Past" article from the "Forest City This Week"
newspaper of Nov 6, 1974 includes a transcription of the tombstones of the old Lucas
family cemetery in upper Cleveland County and lists William White (May 1802 - June 4, 1879)
and Susan (Jan 2, 1816 - May 13, 1896), wife of William White.)
- p.128: David White married Sarah Newton. Their children were George, Nathaniel, Lewis,
Rosa, Nancy & Andrew (Andy).
- Davis, Mrs. William L. Land Entries, 1826-1834, Rutherford County, North Carolina. Griffith Rutherford Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, Rutherfordton, NC, March 17, 1970. [ pp. 2, 105: References to Nathaniel White. ]
- Downs, Posey E. The Captain Benjamin Newton - William Downs and Other Lineage History. Salemburg, NC: Privately Printed. 1954. 374 pages. [ p.135: Nathaniel White of Virginia is listed as the father of Stephen White. ]
- Pruitt, Dr. A. B. Abstracts of Land Entries, Rutherford County, NC, May 1826-June 1834. [North Carolina], 1994. ISBN 0-944992-51-X. [ pp. 187, 248: References to Nathaniel White. ]